Craving our wine bar’s infamous mac & cheese? We want to help you make an easy version of it at home!
We adapted our chef’s recipe so you can try it using ingredients you probably already have, or can easily get. And we removed the need for any special kitchen tools, so you should be all set to start cooking!
Keep scrolling for ingredients and the recipe. Wondering which of our wines to pair with your mac & cheese? Our barrel-fermented Chardonnay or Cuvee Noir would make a perfect match! Shop our wines here.
P.S., if you make this dish, we want to see it! Post a pic and tag us on Instagram or Facebook.
- 4.5 cups Elbow Macaroni
- 9 Tb Butter
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 of a Large Onion – large diced
- 7 cups Whole Milk
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- 3-4 cups grated Cheese (good melting cheeses like cheddar, swiss, gouda, etc. – a blend of cheeses is nice but not necessary)
- 1/2 cup toasted Breadcrumbs (Brioche preferred, but use what you have!)
- 1 cups shaved Parmesan cheese (with a vegetable peeler)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Boil the macaroni in salted water until just soft, then drain
- In a separate pan, melt the butter in a pot until slightly bubbling
- Whisk in the flour to create a roux (just a fancy word for flour and whisked flour). Continue whisking over medium-low heat until the flour taste is cooked out (should no longer smell like flour). There should not be any browning
- Whisk in the milk making sure there are no lumps of roux remaining. Continue whisking until the mixture just begins to bubble and is thickened.
- Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne to taste
- Reserve the sauce hot until ready to finish
- Whisk the grated cheese into the hot sauce until fully melted and smooth – be careful not to overheat it at this point or the sauce may break and turn greasy
- Mix the cooked macaroni into the cheese sauce and pour the whole thing into an ovenproof baking dish.
- Top with an even coating of the breadcrumbs (optional) and bake in the oven until the bread crumbs are golden brown 8-10 minutes. You can assemble the whole thing in advance and refrigerate, but baking will take much longer (appx. 45 minutes)
- Garnish with the shaved parmesan (optional)
Don’t forget to pour yourself a glass of wine and enjoy!